Waterkeepers Bangladesh and River Angle jointly organized a day long program with Children in a government Primary school at Kaliakair, Gazipur to celebrate the World Rivers Day, in September 27, 2020.
The event aimed at involving children’s in the protection of river and to promote awareness for rivers sustainability. The events were segmented in six folds. Using the educational tools, children participated in drawing, reciting, spots, dialogue and dram. Finally all the participants joined the Oath of Word River Day in which they promise to protect river and commit to be responsible to keep river unpolluted.
The event were participated by 11 children’s and coordinated by Waterkeepers Bangladesh’s representative Dr. Sharmin Sathi. The oath is performed by S M Arafat, Manager Research and Implementation. An aspirational message was provided to the school and the children from the Coordinator, Waterkeepers Bangladesh, Sharif Jamil, who is also the general secretary of Bangladesh Paribesh Andolon (BAPA).
Waterkeepers Bangladesh organized the event in the spirit of a concept adapted in China called “River Angle”. With the ambition to connect children’s of both countries, Bangladesh and China, river is placed as a central theme to bridge among countries and cultures. Waterkeepers Bangladesh has initiate the concept “River angel” in Bangladesh for first time with a long term goal to shape children psychology sympathetic to ecology in general, and river in particular. The event has created an interest among children, parents and school authority. Such program is requested to be conducted nationwide for sustainable use of natural resource of Bangladesh.
Events as follows;
- Drawing – Theme – River
- Kobita / Rhyme Recited
আমি নদী- মো. রেজাউল করিম, ২. আমাদের ছোট নদী – রবীন্দ্রনাথ ঠাকুর, ৩. নদী নিয়ে একগুচ্ছ ছড়া – পদ্মা নদী, যমুনা নদী, বুড়িগঙ্গা নদী, করতোয়া নদী, বড়াল নদী- রফিক রইচ
- Sports – Identifying rivers from map in two groups – Assigned rivers were, Padma, Jamuna, Brahmaputra, Meghna, Madhumati, Kalni, Kushiara, Surma in map
- Unscripted on stage speech – Causes of River pollution and our responsibility
- Drama /Natika – two fisherman discusses the old golden days of river and share frustration of water quality of today’s river . Fisher comes home with a few fish and says her wife that there is less fish in river due to water pollution. The wife asked is there no one to monitor the pollution? Is there no one to think about us?
- Oath for river protection – all children has participated in oath in which they promised that they will not pollute river and will aware their homemates not to pollute the river. They will carry their responsibility and will tell people to do so.
- The event ends with prize giving ceremony in which all children are provided a customized Nokhi embroidery Diary.